Stephen R. Koenning
Department of Plant Pathology
840 Method Road
NCSU, Box 7616
Raleigh, NC 27695
Tel: (919) 515-3905
FAX: (919) 515-7716
My primary research interests are in the area of nematode management and ecology. The program addreses basic and applied aspects of nematode management in cotton and soybean. On-farm research is conducted in the eastern part of North Carolina and serves as demonstration sites for extension. Host plant resistance, cover crops, rotation and other cultural practices are evaluated in field scale experiments. Cooperative studies are conducted with faculty in the crop and soil sciences departments.
BS (Biology), University of Arizona
MS (Plant Pathology), University of Arizona
PhD (Plant Pathology), North Carolina State University
Disease management, nematology, sustainable agriculture, IPM, cropping systems, host plant resistance to nematodes, nematode ecology.
Host Resistance as the Cornerstone for Managing Plant-Parasitic Nematodes in Sustainable Agroecosystems
Memberships in Scientific Societies
American Phytopathological Society
Society of Nematologists
Southern Soybean Disease Workers
Organization of Tropical American Nematologists
North Carolina Society of Plant Pathology
Best Student Paper Award 1983 (Southern Soybean Disease Workers)
Best Economic Paper Award 1986 (Society of Nematologists)
Distinguished Service Award 1999 (Southern Soybean Disease Workers)
Novartis Crop Protection Award 2000 (Society of Nematologists)
· Nematology portion of PP 502
· Summer Field Course PP 590
· Advances in Translational Plant Pathology PP790
My current appointment is 60% Extension for most field crops grown in North Carolina, including soybean, corn, cotton, and small grains. Diagnosis of diseases of these crops is a large but enjoyable portion of my work. The format is principally a “research and extension on wheels program” conducted across the eastern portion of the State of North Carolina.
· J. L. Starr, S.R. Koenning, T. L. Kirkpatrick, A.F. Robinson, P. A. Roberts, and R. L. Nichols. 2007. The future of nematode management in cotton. Journal of Nematology 39:283-294.
· Zasada, I. A., F. Avendano, C. Li Yuncong, T. Logan, H. Malakerberhan, S. R. Koenning, and G. L. Tylka. 2008. Potential of an alkaline-stabilized biosolid to manage nematodes: Case studies on soybean cyst and root-knot nematodes. Plant Disease 92:004-013.
· Koenning, S. R., and K. L. Edmisten. 2008. Rotation with corn and soybean for management of Meloidogyne incognita on cotton. Journal of Nematology 40:258-265.
· Jordan, D.L., J. S. Barnes, T. Corbett, C.R. Bogle, P.D. Johnson, B. B. Shew, S. R. Koenning, W. Ye, and R. L. Brandenberg. 2008. Crop Response to Rotation and tillage in peanut-based cropping systems. Agronomy Journal 100:1-7.
· Wrather, J.A., and S. R. Koenning. 2009. Effects of diseases on soybean yields in the United States 1996 to 2007. Plant Health Progress doi10:1094/PHP-2009-0401-01-RS.
· Koenning, S. R., and Wrather, J. A. 2010. Suppression of soybean yield potential in the Continental United States by plant diseases from 2006 to 2009. Plant Health Progress doi:10.1094-2010-1122-01-RS.
· Carter, T. E., S.R. Koenning, J.W. Burton, P.E. Rzewnicki, M.R. Villagarcia, and D. T. Bowman. 2011. Registration of high-yielding group VII ‘N7003CN’ soybean resistant to soybean cyst nematode. Journal of Plant Registrations 5(03):309-317.
Herring, S. L., S.R. Koenning, and, J.L. Heitman. 2010. Impact of Rotylenchulus reniformis on cotton yield as affected by soil texture and irrigation. Journal of Nematology 42:319-323.
- Koenning, S.R., and B.S. Sipes. 1998. Biology, Pp. 156-190 in S.B. Sharma (Ed.) Cyst-forming Nematodes. Chapman and Hall, London.
- Barker, S.R., and S.R. Koenning. 1998. Developing sustainable systems for nematode management. Annual review of Phytopathology 36:165-205.
- Hillocks, R.J., and S.R. Koenning. 2001. Other stem and root diseases. PP. 33. In T.L. Kirkpatrick, and C.S. Rothrock eds. Compendium of Cotton Diseases. APS Press: St. Paul, Minnesotta.
- Koenning, S. R. 2002. Nematicides. PP1-4, In D.M. Pimentel ed. Dekker Encyclopedia of Pest Management. Marcel Dekker: New York, NY. (chapter full text)
- Koenning, S. R. 2004. Population biology. Pp. 73-88. In D.P. Schmitt, J.A. Wrather, and R.D. Riggs eds. Biology and Management of Soybean Cyst Nematode, Second Edition. Schmitt and Associates of Marceline: Marceline, MO.
- Schmitt, D.P., S. R. Koenning, and K. R. Barker 2004. Population density based management. Pp. 89-110. In D.P. Schmitt, J.A. Wrather, and R.D. Riggs eds. Soybean Cyst Nematode, Biology and Management. Schmitt and Associates of Marceline: Marceline, MO.