KELMAN SCHOLARS PROGRAM
The Kelman Scholars Program offers research internships during the academic year (summer, fall, or spring) to undergraduate students interested in the biological sciences. The program honors the legacy of Arthur Kelman — Professor Emeritus at NCSU and a member of the National Academy of Sciences recognized for his excellence in science, mentorship, and scholarship in Plant Pathology. The complex interactions of microbes and hosts make Plant Pathology a stimulating and versatile biological discipline. Research projects for Kelman Scholars range from genomics and biotechnology to applications of the latest technologies to investigate disease ecology and management.
Kelman Undergraduate Research Internships
- Open to NCSU and local college students during the fall or spring academic semesters
- Provide each intern with an honorarium per semester
Kelman Summer Research Internships
- Full-time, 9-week research experiences coordinated through the NCSU Undergraduate Research Program
- Open to college students throughout the U.S. who are U.S Citizens and permanent residents.
- Provided a stipend, room & board on campus, a transportation allowance, and participation in a variety of social and professional events.
All Kelman Scholars receive documented experience in the fundamentals of biological research, the opportunity to present results of their research at the NCSU Undergraduate Research Symposium, and a foundation for graduate study and careers in biology.
Send the following materials to the address below.
- Completed Application
- Short essay detailing your research interests
- Undergraduate transcript(s) (Unofficial transcripts are permissible for initial application. If selected we will require official transcripts.)
- One academic letter of recommendation (Recommendation letter must be sealed and signed. This recommendation can be included with the remainder of the application materials or mailed directly to the NCSU Department of Plant Pathology.)
Attn: Jane Dove Long
C/O: Kelman Scholars Program
North Carolina State University
Department of Plant Pathology
Campus Box 7616
Raleigh, NC 27695-7616
Summer Program Deadline: February 15th. Accepted applicants for the summer program will be notified by email by the beginning of March.
Fall & Spring Applicants should submit their application materials within the first 10-days of the commencement of NCSU classes.
Director: Dr. Shuijin Hu (firstname.lastname@example.org) 919.515.2097